Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Warning: This post is too long.


This day, January 19th, is an important day in my life for two reasons: 1) it is the day I entered the Missionary Training Center to begin my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Poland and 2) it is the day I got engaged, two years after the first significant event. Today, I am going to post a few pictures in remembrance of my mission. First of all, I would like to say that my mission was:

1. The hardest 19 months of my life, bar none
2. A time I wouldn't trade for anything
3. Something I remember every single day

I met so many wonderful people and I became acquainted with a beautiful country that has suffered a lot throughout history. All of my companions were amazing, beautiful people and I met members of the church that have sacrificed immensely to live what they believe in a country that isn't always understanding of their beliefs. So, without further ado, I want to share a few pictures of my time in Poland. No particular order.




This is my trainee, Sister Gibb and we are in Katowice, my last area. She taught me a lot about hard work and faith to get the job done. Can I also say that she has the most beautiful smile of anyone I know? Ania, the girl on the right, is deaf. She taught me some Polish sign language.




 This is my first area, Łódź (woodge). There is my trainer, Sister Green, second from the right. She was an awesome trainer, especially for being so new in the country herself. The two other young ladies, Basia and Dominika, are two amazing young members of the church.

 
Zuzanna: I will never forget you or your cat. We had many wonderful discussions with Zuzanna and eventually parted ways. I hope she is doing well.

 
There were constant reminders of the horrors of World War II. Here, spray paint marking the border of one of the ghettos. Łódź and Warsaw, two areas I served in for 1 year total, each suffered horribly in the war.

 
Sister Jensen, my second companion. Sister Jensen had a contagiously happy attitude. She was also my quirkiest companion, but I mean that as a compliment. Never a dull moment. Great missionary. And Renata, a new member in Łódź, second from the left.

 
I knocked on nearly all the doors in this neighborhood, and you can't even see most of the buildings here.


Now I am on the rynek (town square) in Warsaw. We are singing hymns. I am sure we sounded great.



From left, Sister Lawson, Gabriela, Magda, and me. First of all, Sister Lawson... I don't even know where to start. I learned so much from her. She was truly an exceptional missionary. Gabriela and Magda - some of my favorite people.



Some more of my favorite people. From left: Wojtek, Marta, and Gabi. I wish I could give them a hug.

  
Poland is a tourist destination. Can you see why? There are some beautiful places.




We walked by these kids nearly every day on our way out to our area in Katowice. We would often stop and talk. On this day, we bought them ice cream. I think they were grateful.


Gabi again. Isn't she cute? Let me tell you something, it isn't easy to be a teenager in Poland. Being a member of our church doesn't make it easier.


This sweet Catholic sister was nice enough to listen to us. She gave me my first and only set of rosary beads. I still have them.


Some more of my favorite people. Agnieszka on the far left and Basia on the far right. Ania is on the bottom. These people were marvelous, very firm believers in their own Evangelical faith and we had some wonderful discussions with them. By the way, notice how we are all bundled up? It got really (really!) cold in Poland.

Moral of the story #1: it is impossible to sum up a mission in a few pictures.
Moral #2: Mormon missionaries are usually really nice people. You should get to know one two.

One more picture:

What the heck were we doing to this poor quadruped? I have no idea. By the way, I did not know that I was going to go to vet school when I was on my mission. I pretty much decided that the month before applications were due. But that is a whole different story...

5 comments:

  1. SUPER POST! Kocham cie! Uwielbiam czytac twoj blog! Super Zdjecia! Tesknie za Polske BBAARRDDZZZOOO! Tesknie za toba tez BARDZO! Mysle o Gabrieli i magdzie od czasu do czasu. Bardzo chcialabym byc w kontakcie z nimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I have to say that Sister Gammon was by far the cutest sister missionary that has ever existed (I am allowed to say that because I married her). Second, it always strikes me how much Poland looks like Ukraine. Every single one of those pictures could have been taken where I served my mission. Third, it was a hard 19 months for me too (although for very different reasons). Fourth and last, I can't believe she didn't say anything about our awesome engagement night! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, Siostro - Tesknie za toba tez! Postaralam sie kilka razu, zeby emailowac Gabriele, i mysle, ze nie mialam dobrego adresu do niej, niestety. Tez chcialabym miec kontakt z nimi.
    Second, our engagement night was awesome! I will have to write a post about that next year. The engagement wasn't always so fun, however...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister missionaries rock! And yes, I'm surprised how much Poland looks like Romania especially since I had a Polish woman once tell me that Romania was the armpit of Europe :) Thanks for the fun post! Love ya, Katie girl! I still think of my mission every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post Katie. I hope you post about the engagement night sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete