Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hair - it's hairy.

Most of us don't think about it too much, except to wash it in the shower and do something with it in the morning. We don't think about what it would be like to experience life without it, and how that would change our perception of ourselves and others' perceptions of us. 

My mom's first chemo was 2.5 weeks ago and her hair has been coming out for the past few days. This morning, she bravely let me shave her hair off and now she is going beautifully bald (wig included). For many people, losing hair is the hardest part of chemo, and I have learned a lot from how my mom is handling this. In a word, bravely. In another word, faithfully. Hair grows back, just like the sun rises every morning. We just have to wait patiently, learn from the "educational experiences" (my mom likes this phrase better than "trials") we have been blessed with in the meantime, and have faith.

Here's to a beautiful mane of hair in the future and not missing it too much in the meantime! (Or even coming to love not having to deal with it!)  




5 comments:

  1. I'll never forget when I did that for my mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something else you two have in common now. As Mom said, No day with hair is a bad hair day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are there for your mom! Hope she is feeling as well as can be expected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, how do I not know what is going on here? I'm going to call some people....
    We will be praying for her and that she recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing daughter! I hope things improve for your mom, she's in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete