Saturday, August 17, 2013

Illinois State Fair

I love the state fair. I loved it growing up where I showed goats and entered 4-H projects and wandered around the crafts buildings and animal barns and ate fair food. My favorite fair food as I remember was elephant ears. I have been able to go to the fair here in Illinois three times and most recently it was yesterday. I was lucky enough to be able to go with some friends and we had a great time.

The highlight for me was a hunting dog training demonstration. I was amazed by the skill and level of training of the dogs and it made me want to learn how to hunt just so I can have a hunting dog. 

Here are a few picture highlights:


From top left clockwise: the famous butter cow sculpted from 500 lbs of butter. An Illinois State Fair tradition since 1922. A delicious breakfast item that has been sitting in a display case for a week. Marie and lots of lovely cakes. And finally, what would a state fair be without some Bengal tiger tricks?

All in all a lovely day. My only regret is that we missed llama fun night. 

2 comments:

  1. We spent the better part of hour in the goat house at our state fair. I couldn't help but think of you! I asked Dr. J if we could get some goats...he said not but I think secretly he meant yes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butter heifer! How special :)

    ReplyDelete