Thursday, December 13, 2012

the end of an era

...or...

in loving tribute to my French Alpine dairy goat Makala

Tomorrow my goat Makala will be euthanized. She has had painful front hooves for a number of years and has gotten to the point where she cannot walk on them anymore, but instead hobbles around on her knees (carpi). She would have been 15 in February, which is a ripe old age for a goat.

I showed sheep in 4-H for a few years before I had goats. The ultimate 4-H showmanship competition was called the round robin where the top two showmen in each species (hogs, beef, dairy, goats, sheep, meat goats) competed against each other and showed every species and it was kind of a big deal. There were so many people showing sheep in those days that it was very difficult to make it to the round robin in the sheep division. I decided to branch out and show goats when I was 14 or 15 which was convenient because someone had just donated a goat named Aphrodite (Afro for short) to my mother because she saved the goat's life after roaming dogs nearly took her life (true story). So we bred her and I planned on showing one of her kids in the fair. However, that year Afro happened to have a buck and a hermaphrodite (what are the odds?) Luckily, I found a goat lady nice enough to loan me one of her does to show. Her name was Jazzmine and she was a beautiful doe and not only did I win champion dairy goat but I also won best dairy goat showman and was able to compete in the round robin. Lo and behold, I actually won the dang thing. Those were the glory days. With my taste of fame, I couldn't stop there. I purchased Jazzmine's granddaughter, Makala.

Afro and her two kids.

I loved having goats and seeing the kids (so cute) and don't remember minding the milking all that much (thanks Jessie for splitting it with me). I wish I knew back then how delicious goat cheese is so I could start to learn how to make it, but alas, I was a teenager and what teenager do you know that wants to make goat cheese? I used to love preparing Makala for the show, bathing her and clipping her hair down close so you could see all her sleek curves (although I did hate clipping off her goatee) and shaving her udder with a razor and oiling it up. She really was a beautiful goat. I think I may have won grand champion goat with her too. She knew her name and I would walk in the far side of the animal barn at the 4-H fair and call out "Makala" and I could hear her calling back to me.

Young Makala. Apparently I though it was ok to wear short shorts.

I was looking through one of my 4-H project books from 2000 and to answer the question "What have you learned from yourself by taking this project?" I answered "I have learned that dairy goats are my very favorite animals and I hope to raise them for many years to come."


There was also a question "What have you learned about your animals from the records you kept?" where I answered "I learned that dairy goats need quite a bit of grain to be able to milk." Which is a lame answer and I am pretty sure it is lame because I never kept very good records and just made stuff up the week before the books were due. Hm.

Makala and her two kids. One of those is Mayzie Lou who survives her.

Then I grew up and left home and for the most part forgot about her until I would visit home and trim her hooves. She was a good goat and I am grateful for her and that, because of her, I still want to have goats in the future. Next time I will learn to make cheese.

My parents have been good enough to give Makala and her daughter Mayzie food and shelter for the past 11 or so years I have been out of the house, and I am grateful for that. (Not to mention the food and shelter they provided for my goats while I was still living at home. They pretty much paid for everything and I was just a free loader. Some things never change.)

5 comments:

  1. In case it wasn't clear before this post, I think it is now obvious to all readers of this blog that I have an amazingly awesome wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, she is amazingly awesome. I wish I knew a song called Requiem for a Goat. Maybe The Afternoon of a Faun would work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tribute to Makayla brought tears to my eyes. Animals who serve us and love us never die in our memories. Like Clyde and Makayla- there is a special place in heaven for "God's creatures." I am glad we both had the experience of goats.

    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post reminded me of my 4H days. I never had a goat but I had a dairy heifer once (and sheep). I remember your goats and how friendly they were and climbed up on me. I couldn't help compare them with sheep and how much more fun they were. And I also like goat cheese. Sorry to hear about Makayla needing to be euthanized. I know what you mean about end of an era. I'm glad you have such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture of you, Makayla and Clyde. I have great memories with all three. Thru the years since you have been gone I have looked forward to going down to the barn and feeding them. The goats seemed to recognize my truck for as soon as I pulled in the driveway they started up a racket to remind me what my number one priority was. And they would just about trample me as we all crowded thru the door to the feed bunk at the same time. They always got there first and Makayla would look at me and then the bunk and back at me licking her lips waitng for me to pour the mixture of hay cubes and grain into the bunk. That has changed lately. Makayla hasn't been able to make it to the barn so I would put a little pile of cubes in front of her. Today it has been cold and I worried about her. When I got home she was in the barn laying in the straw and not able to stand so I put a little pile of pellets in front of her. She seemed to nuzzle my hand and looked up at me if as to say thanks.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete