Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why everyone should own a seam ripper

even if you don't sew. Someday it will come in handy. I promise. As long as you are taking my advice, here is another one: Measure twice, cut once. And before you measure twice, measure once. That was the step I forgot.

Remember this quilt?


The first thing Alex said when I showed him was "Is the top wider than the bottom?" By gum, he was right! To the tune of 2 inches! Yes, I am an awesome quilter. 

So I had to decide if I was going to fix it. I was worried it was going to take a lot of work. If it had been the second thing Alex had said, I probably wouldn't have fixed it and just given it to someone I didn't like. But seeing how it was the first thing out of his mouth, I knew I would never appreciate the quilt if I didn't attempt a redo. 

So I did. As soon as I got home from the fair. 

First place Southdown ewe. She is loooong. I like livestock shows because it takes me back to my 4-H days.

Alice is super cute. No comment on the sign. 

The famous butter cow. 

Here is the new and improved version of the quilt.

I know, you can't really tell.

Here is a side by side.

If you don't want to end up like me, measure before finishing your quilt.

Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. But it would have been perfect for someone a little wider on top and skinnier on the bottom... Just saying... I still think it's rally pretty. I just want to see someone wrapped in that blanket sitting on the Book coffee table at Eph and Amy's. It's just so... bookish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie I did that on a quilt that I made for Gigi. I never fixed it :) It is truly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. to clarify: yours is fantastic, not mine. Mine is just okay, but my 6 yr old likes it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was beautiful before you fixed it. What patience and attention to detail you have to actually rip the seams and fix it. I would have just enjoyed my mistake- but of course, I couldn't quilt it in the first place. I love the book pattern, did you make it up?

    This will probably be attributed to your dad but it is actually your mom. How is that for confusing?

    ReplyDelete