This, my friends, was no staycation.
Remember our blog posts about a year ago all about the trip we took to Mexico and by the end our three blog readers were all completely sick of us and our vacation and didn't stop by to see our blog again for another 6 months? Well here is another exhausting vacation post, so consider yourself warned.
In summary, we (Alex, Lucy, Lola, and I) drove out to the West, sucked in some fresh, non-humid, mountainous air and left Ruben at home to protect the house. It was a long drive.
Our first stop was to the home of Seed Saver's Exchange where we saw some of their heritage animals (Ancient White Park Cattle) and a whole lot of nicely weeded plants. It was a very nice place and I asked if they would let me move into their barn but they are full right now.
On the way out, we stopped by the iconic Mt. Rushmore. Alex says I should call it the ironic Mt. Rushmore. But that doesn't make any sense. It was worth the visit. I wore a side ponytail that day so you will not be seeing any pictures of me.
The corn palace was NOT worth the visit.
This is where we camped the second night at the Wind River Indian Reservation. It was windy and gorgeous.
Seeing the mountains again almost made me want to cry. It was like seeing a family member again that I hadn't seen for way too long.
We stopped by Jackson, WY where we had our honeymoon 5 years ago. I wouldn't expect you to know that since we didn't have a blog back then. This is a little candy kitchen where we bought these amazing chocolate covered caramels on our honeymoon so of course we had to go get some more. The lady remembered us from our honeymoon as that adorable couple. I made that up, but the caramels were just as amazing as the last time we were there.
We were lucky enough to be able to see a whole lot of family and friends during our trip, which made the trip very memorable and special for us.
Lucy and Lola were great travel buddies.
We went to a petting zoo.
Alex has the wingspan of a golden eagle.
I don't. I am more in the turkey vulture range.
We were able to connect with a lot of good friends and I am very grateful for that.
We're over halfway done. I don't blame you if you closed this page a long time ago.
Hazel is an awesome marshmallow eater. Notice Asher in the background. He was being a stinker and not letting me take a picture of him.
Me first thing in the morning.
We hiked to the top of Squaw Peak overlooking Provo. We ran most of the way down which made me as sore as I have been since I ran a marathon. Of course, then we had to go and do a bunch of hikes around Arches two days later which nearly killed me. Or it nearly killed Alex, whose shoulder I leaned on every time I had to walk down a slope because my legs were killing me so badly.
BUT all the views and scenery were way worth it.
This is a view of Timpanogos (which we hiked a few years ago) from Squaw Peak.
This is also one reason why it is not a bad idea to live in Utah.
And... Arches. This is Landscape Arch.
The iconic (ironic?) Delicate Arch. Who named it that anyway?
Do you see me over in the corner? That is me getting sunburned.
Finally, Canyonlands. Too beautiful for words. I feel the need to go back there someday and hike, boat, camp, horseback ride, and/or backpack.
Stunning.
If you made it to the end of the post, I owe you a cupcake.


You owe me a cupcake. :)
ReplyDeleteWell send me a cupcake, baby!! I loved it. You are really such a fun writer, Katie. And I cannot believe how long your beautiful hair is now! Wow! I miss those mountains and the arches and the red rocks of Utah. They are unforgettable. Thanks for all the pictures. I love them all! Love you guys and glad you got away. Turkey vultures are totally ugly, by the way. CRREEEEPY.
ReplyDeleteYay, I get a cupcake!
ReplyDeleteIt was great having you here! I felt the same way about the mountains when we moved back West from Illinois when you were 1 1/2 years old. Something about the mountains and their beauty that just keeps me here. I think we should do a rafting trip in the canyon lands. It would be great! And if this comment says Stan- it is really your mom.
ReplyDeleteI'll drive 3 hrs. to get one of your cupcakes. We loved seeing you and I really love your blog.
ReplyDeleteneat trip! i had to do some research on ancient white park (beautiful animals) and the seed exchange. your pictures made me homesick for the West. There are too many trees here, sometimes.
ReplyDeleteMmm...cupcakes...I like that you have a blog, I actually read a bunch of posts, it'd been a while since I read about you two. I'm so glad to have the way to 'keep up' with you so easily! You're doing exciting things for sure.
ReplyDelete