A few weeks ago I organized a tour to visit a dairy farm that I saw as a vet student. I originally saw the farm on a large animal ambulatory rotation because they wanted some advice from the university's theriogenologist and I was tagging along. I was fascinated at the time by two things: 1) the fact that they had two or three cows worth over $1/4 million and 2) the fact that they were planning on making a cheese cave.
A few friends and I visited the farm again, about two years later. I was hoping to see a fully functioning cheese cave but it turns out that the owner's son who was originally in charge of the cheese-making part of the business was killed in a tragic accident and the whole cheese thing nearly got scrapped altogether. They are making cheese today, but I believe on a smaller scale than was originally intended. Anyway, I basically wrote all that just so I could post this picture:
We unfortunately didn't get to see cheese making in process, but we did meet the exotic cheese maker from Holland (? I think) with an exotic name like Diego or Raul or Fabian or some such name that is actually Dutch.
Just think, one of the cows in this picture (I don't know which one or ones) is probably worth more than your house.
The cheese tasting was fun too.
The end.
By the way, there is a squirrel in my fridge.
WHY???????? Cute tongue pic on a very expensive animal.
ReplyDeleteWhy are the cows so expensive?! I like this post.
ReplyDeleteWay to leave us hanging, Katie. Can't wait for the post about the squirrel.
ReplyDeleteI'll tell Dad and he will be right over with his "squirrel" gun. He has a thing about those "rodents." But maybe yours has already moved onto the next life? Trying out squirrel stew?
ReplyDeleteI love dairy cows- they are always pretty mellow and accepting of life. But I would not like to be responsible for caring for one that is worth more than my house.
You are hilarious - in your fridge??? EWWWW! Is the guy from Holland making gouda cheese? We love gouda.
ReplyDeleteYeah, why ARE the few cows worth so much? Magical milk?
ReplyDeleteJoe has said repeatedly that if he could do Illinois over again, he would buy a BB gun and shoot the squirrels that stripped our backyard of everything edible. He'll be happy (but a little disturbed and kind of glad we won't be invited for dinner) to know you have a squirrel in your fridge. :) :)