Besides a state of constant disarray... that is a post for another day. I am going to tell you about where Alex and I have made our abode for the next few years, since I am guessing that at least half of my extended relatives don't know, because I am that good at keeping in touch with people. When people here find out I am from Idaho, they often ask how I like Illinois. I usually say the same thing "I am getting used to it." And then I complain about how flat it is and how much I miss the mountains. And then if they are from around here, they say "oh I see but the mountains make me claustrophobic." That took me aback the first time I heard it, but now I have come to realize that it is just one of those Midwest things. Like putting fake flowers in your front yard. Midwest idiosyncrasies aside, my goal is to tell you some of the great and interesting things about this community. Because, in spite of its flatness and winters that last two years (and come on, I am from Idaho and I should be able to deal with it... sheesh) it has some great things going for it.
By the way, if you didn't realize it yet, I am talking about Champaign-Urbana! Or Chambana, as it is colloquially known around here. Or Chambanana, as it is colloquially known in this house.
So if you google it, you come up with images like this:
And this:
Which is apparently a lightning strike that occurred on a golf course not .75 miles away from our house. All of a sudden, I feel very safe.
One more:
You can already tell this is a great city.
First of all, it is the home of the flagship University of Illinois. U of I was a land grant university way back when. The campus here has about 40,000 students and has phenomenal chemistry, engineering, and physics departments. Quite a few Nobel laureates have come out of this school. With the university come all the perks that come from living in a campus town. It is also happens to have a veterinary school attached to it. With only 28 vet schools in the nation, that is quite a big deal and a happy coincidence for us.
Second of all, Urbana has a really great farmer's market in the summer. There are goat cheese and toffee samples every week.
Third, Alison Krauss was born not too far away and grew up in Champaign. She is my all time favorite bluegrass artist.
Fourth, we are close (3.5 hours driving or less) to St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Chicago, two of which cities have temples in them. Here is a picture of the St. Louis temple:
Beautiful building, no? Those are all the great things that I can come up with right now, but I am sure there will be more once winter is over in another year and a half.
No comments:
Post a Comment