Monday, February 15, 2010

A Typical Morning

Since not all of you are lucky enough to be in vet school, I thought I would share some tidbits from my morning so you could live it vicariously. I just got done with an equine lameness exam. This one was awesome enough to include a video, from which I diagnosed a forelimb lameness. I already forgot which side it was.

In ruminant class today, I learned all about how not to milk a cow:


Don't have an inadequate vacuum or Daisy ain't happy.

Another tidbit: Did you know you can turn this



into this


with the use of a propane torch? And that people actually do this on a regular basis? My question is, why hasn't someone made millions marketing this technology to women frustrated and tired of shaving? Valid question.

And in my poultry class (in which I think we set a record today - 126 slides for a 50 minute lecture!) there were all sorts of wonderful pictures. I like this one in particular:


I think I liked it because my teacher pointed out that this is chicken snot:


Who would have guessed? What fortuitous timing!

And finally:


This is a case of a chicken with fowl cholera. Trust me, you do NOT want to know what is inside those wattles, folks. If you really, really want to know, email me and I will whisper it to you.

Oh, yeah, this is what happens to you if you get chlamydophila psittaci. I hope I spelled that right. This is a zoonotic disease, so you can get it from birds, but don't ask me anything about it because we cover that on Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. cheeeeeeeeeeeese is in the wattle. swiss cheese, provolone cheese, cheddar cheese, american cheese, caseous cheeeeeeeeese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, would you really rather shave with a blowtorch?

    ReplyDelete