Monday, May 25, 2015

Happy Illinois Day!

A year ago today, my little family and I left Illinois. It was the saddest day of my life. We also left a big pile in the front yard of stuff we didn't have time to take to Goodwill. I still feel bad about that. I hope the landfill gods will forgive me for that one.

Today, Illinois (in the form of Noah and Cherry Ruggieri) left us. I was very sad to see them go. They also left a big mess.

I declare May 25th Illinois Day for the rest of my family's life. It will revolve around anything Illinois and making and cleaning up messes.

This gives you an idea of the mess:
Thank you, Elders, for helping us start cleaning it up today. 


A little piece of Illinois (though not dressed like it)

We were worried about a tree in our backyard that had a crack between the two main trunks. We were not expecting him to take us up on the offer, but we invited our good friend who conveniently happens to be a tree guy to come out and help us take it down. We couldn't believe it, but he said yes!

Just starting

Just finished. An unbelievable amount of work to get that tree down. And no one got hurt (although we won't mention the very close call and we won't count the fence).

See what I mean? Ginormous tree.


We were also lucky enough to have a visit from our other friends from Illinois, the Packs. It has been so much fun seeing these two families. Even though we have been gone for a year, it was as if no time had passed when we saw them again. The beauty of friendship. Thank you so much for making the effort to come out and see us. We loved seeing you. Please come again!

Since today is Memorial Day, which is much, much more important than Illinois Day, I share this picture. Amazing some of the things you randomly run across living in this part of the country! Samuel Whittemore, although apparently left for dead, wasn't actually killed by the British, but many others were. To him, to them, and to others that have given their lives, I say thank you. You didn't know me and I don't know you but I am the grateful recipient of the legacy that you left.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like firewood a'plenty! How is Noah doing? Did he ever get his job in business? That was surely nice of him to help out. What are you going to do with the tree trunks still standing?

    ReplyDelete