Hi! I am sure you are all dying to know how we are sleeping. Thank you to those of you experienced mamas that commented and sent me emails. I took everything into consideration.
For the past two and a half weeks I have somewhat rigidly enforced two sleep rules:
1) No falling asleep on mom (has to be in the crib)
2) No excessive rocking/swaying to sleep. In other words, baby has to learn to put herself to sleep.
So, how has it gone? The first two or so days were miserable. Lots and lots of crying. I consoled when I could but in the end I didn't give in. I knew it was for the best. I knew that my sanity and ability to be a happy mother depended on my baby's ability to sleep. And I knew that Alex was no help at all at night since he started his residency and there was no one to spot me. Also, it seemed to be harder and harder to get her to go to sleep even with my help. I was rocking/bouncing for up to an hour at night to get her to go to sleep finally and that didn't seem right either.
Since then, I would say we are getting progressively better. We have had some really amazing nights in there (like only getting up twice to eat and then going back to sleep promptly and then sleeping until 6) and some not so good nights.
I'll take what I can get.
I have also decided to sleep train myself.
I have always had a hard time falling asleep when stressed, after seeing an intense movie, and sometimes for no reason at all.
It seems like it has gotten worse lately. Partly because I have to fall asleep multiple times per night after taking care of baby and partly because, I don't know.
So, I diagnosed myself with insomnia because that is what Dr. Google wanted me to do and started treating myself with behavioral therapy.
My rules are: 1) no lying in bed without sleeping for more than 10 minutes. I have to get up and do something and then go back to bed when I am ready instead of lying in bed for hours.
2) no lying around in bed during the day which is easy to do when you have a nursing baby. Beds and bedrooms should be for sleeping according to Dr. Google.
3) No naps during the daytime, at least for the time being.
4) Don't complain about how tired I am all the time. I made this rule up by myself.
So, hopefully we will both be getting lots of great sleep in the near future. There is nothing that sounds more delicious to me right now.
I love all the pictures of Cecily!! Glad you and she are practicing sleeping :-)
ReplyDeleteI tried to comment on this the day this posted, but it never would take for some reason. My comment was witty, supportive, and brilliant, but I couldn't recreate it. Suffice it to say that I want to kiss Cecily's little tummy from all these adorable posts. She looks so happy sitting up in that bumpo!!
ReplyDelete