...of only one home!!
Our Urbana home closed this week. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I feel major relief. Two mortgages is not something we need right now. On the other hand, it is like letting a piece of my life go. Or closing a wonderful chapter of my life that I wasn't 100% ready to close yet.
This is a letter I wrote the day of the closing for my Realtor to give to the buyers.
Dear buyers of 7 Weaver Place:
My husband and I wish we could be at the closing to meet you and wish you all the best in your new home, but circumstances are such that this is not possible. I do want to write a little note to hopefully convey how much we loved that home and our wishes that you will also be able to. Forgive me for a few reminiscences as well.
7 Weaver Place was the first home that we owned. We bought it a year after we got married. We looked at many houses before settling on that one. We liked so many things about the home – the quiet neighborhood, the size and potential of the yard, the skylights, the layout of the home and possibilities to renovate and make the space our own. It truly was a “fixer-upper” when we moved in and the first thing we did was replace the kitchen and put in the tile floor. We started out with lots of energy for home improvement projects but laying the tile floor about sucked us dry and after that, all of the other improvements we did were spaced further and further apart. Eventually they all were finished and it was a joy to see the space transformed to a welcoming, friendly and happy place. We loved having friends over and have many happy memories sharing meals and spending time together. We hope you will also have many happy memories with friends and loved ones there.
We were excited to have our own backyard and that first year put in all of the fruit trees and brambles and grape vines and were pleased to see that the wild black raspberries that were already there were very productive. The raspberries and blackberries were incredibly productive as well as the peach and pear trees. I canned dozens (hundreds?) of quarts of jams, preserves, juice and fruit the last 2-3 years we were there. I had no idea how to preserve food initially but having so much produce encouraged me to learn how! The first year the peach tree produced peaches, even though I pruned off much of the fruit as I was supposed to, the trunk split under the heavy weight of the fruit. We propped it together and it has continued to do very well. The squirrels, though, also appreciate the fruit :) We loved having a few chickens in the backyard and spent many hours watching their fun antics and we enjoyed their wonderful, home-grown eggs. We hope you also find joy in the productivity of the land.
7 Weaver Place is where we brought home our baby from the hospital, now just over 4 months ago. Those early days were so wonderful but so hard and I felt completely at home and surrounded by friends and neighbors. In fact, our backyard neighbor was so good to us that I hated the thought of leaving her almost as much as leaving the house and tried to convince her to move with us. We hope that you will also enjoy the neighbors and neighborhood.
The day I left 7 Weaver Place for the last time qualifies as one of the saddest days of my life. But even though I miss that wonderful home, I am so grateful for the many happy years we had there and hope that it will also be a memorable, happy and joyful home for you and your family. My husband and I are hopeful that you will cherish that home as much as we have. We wish you and your family all the best.
***
Alex finally gets a bit of a breather on an outpatient service and we are lucky to have him for the whole weekend! Two whole days! Yesterday we went to Hammond Castle in Gloucester (say "glah-ster") that happened to also be hosting a renaissance festival.
I blended right into the renaissance festival with my Peruvian cowboy hat. The blanket (thanks Ashlee!) that is shielding Cecily's legs from the sun also lends a certain something to the ensemble.
This is the courtyard inside the castle.
Do any of my Philadelphia friends recognize this tile work?
Cecily was a really great sport and made us popular with the natives.
Hammond castle was build in the 1920's by John Hammond, a wealthy inventor. It was a gift to his wife as well as a home for all of his European artifacts and the headquarters of his inventing operation.
We visited the Cape Pond Ice factory. We got to go inside their freezer with its 300# blocks of ice and ice statues in the works.
In other news, we have been overrun by humongous ants. I found and baited their nest in the garage and it is like an ant battleground with corpses lying around all over. I haven't been successful enough to convince the inside ants to take my bait. But I am patient...
Had to add this picture. Sweet Cecily moments before snoozing off into dreamland...
Love Cecily's BIG blue eyes!! Your outings at the castle and the ice factory look so fun :-D Sorry about the ants :-(
ReplyDeleteYikes! The only ants I've seen that big are carpenter ants. Do these ones bite/sting? Are they raiding the pantry or just generally hanging about?
ReplyDeleteYes after consulting Dr. Google I am 99% sure they are carpenter ants. They haven't bitten us yet. I also haven't disturbed their nest and waited to see what would happen.
DeleteTry getting some Delta Dust. We had carpenter ants one year and the Delta Dust took quick care of them. Just spread it around the exterior of your house or garage and when the ants walk through it, they take the dust back into their home and it spreads and kills them there. We use it whenever we have ant problems. We don't use it inside. We used a non-toxic spray inside our home.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the last pic of Cecily. So glad you didn't end the fun post on an ant-y note :) Looks like you guys are having a fun weekend! So happy for all 3 of you :) I'm impressed you spotted the Moravian tiles! Beautiful!!
ReplyDelete