Cecily turned 3 months old a week ago and to celebrate we did two of the things she hates the most: put her in the car seat and in the baby carrier, each for a very very long time if you are a baby. (See the previous post.) Anyway, I digress. The point is, I have been a mother for a few months now. What have I learned?
This: Cecily's fingernails grow super fast. And her hair and toenails don't grow at all. Why is that?
What have I not learned?
This: how to get a baby to sleep. All you moms out there, tell me how to fix this - from about 2-3 months of age, Cecily was sleeping like a charm, 6-7 hours at a stretch. For the past 5 days or so though, when she gets up in the middle of the night to eat, she stays up. For two hours. And she has always been a hard one to take a decent long nap during the day if it is anywhere besides me holding her. I am afraid she has inherited my tendency to have a hard time falling asleep.
Motherhood in a lot of ways is about what I expected, in some ways is greater and more wonderful than I imagined, and in other ways is so much harder. (I expect my friends with four and five kids to be rolling their eyes right now.) I think I knew it wasn't going to be blissful all the time, and it isn't. I don't feel guilty about having a hard time sometimes and often wishing to have an easier baby. I have learned to lower my expectations for each day. It is an accomplishment if I eat a decent lunch, brush my teeth, and am not in pajamas all day long. It is a really great day if I bake a batch of cookies and sweep the floor. Every now and then I take a shower. This is kind of a hard thing for me to accept. I just can't get nearly as much done as I would like to. Anyway, motherhood... I still have so much more to learn and experience!
Alex started his residency officially yesterday. Woo hoo! (or boo hoo, depending on how you look at it...)
Here's a video for you. Nothing exciting, just a cute baby. Thanks Aunt Janelle for the adorable onesie dress! I have decided I really like onesie dresses because they have all the advantages of a onesie with a built in drool rag.


Dear Katie and Alex, I love your blog posts!!! I seldom comment, but I do view them and adore that little Cecily :-) The videos are the best! Oh, I do remember those sleep-deprived days that go on and.on and on..... Keep praying. That is about all that can help that I know of!
ReplyDeleteCecily- I am glad to see you practicing your equilibrium reactions-great job! Here is a wave back to you from Grandma :)
ReplyDeleteKatie I am praying for more sleep for you and welcome to the club of motherhood. I just feel a little bad because you were such a good baby to sleep for me. It all evens out eventually.
Cecily is so cute. I wish we could see her this summer. I remember that initial shock of not being able to get much done with a baby. (and it still continues, ha!). Kids are definitely life's lesson on learning to be selfless, patient, etc. As far as the hair - that could be from the Gammon side. I didn't have hair until 4th grade! (That's what dad said at my wedding reception....in front of everyone!!!!)
ReplyDeleteShe is so cute. I love the pictures of her and all. I was thinking as I read part of your post how good it is we don't know how hard it is to be a Mom. Because then we would possibly not be as inclined to have babies. Haha. But I felt the same way and still do--some things are more wonderful than I thought and some things are so much harder! I don't want to give you too much advice because parents often get a lot especially with kid 1. Well, anytime. But Nathan was my first and hardest to get sleeper. We were all exhausted. Part of it was really him. Actually most of it was. But I read the book babywise and it did help with my other kids and him a little bit. The main point I learned from the book if you're curious and don't want to read it, I don't know, is to have them in the eat, then play( or awake time) then sleep. Put them down and keep them down. That was hard...sometimes you have to do what you have to do! And then they wake up cause they have to burp and they pooped sometimes, etc. so honestly good luck. And I hope you can all get some more sleep too! Love you lots. I understand about being frustrated at times of not getting things done that you want to! You are doing great!
ReplyDeletePart of it was him, because of his personality, etc. that is what I meant up above, though I am not sure that needed clarifying, but just in case. :)
ReplyDeleteI have been an avid reader, although I rarely comment. You two are doing so well and Cecily is adorable. My eldest had a hard time sleeping, and I could not do the whole cry it out thing, but I did find that you can actually see relatively well in the dark, and if I completely avoided turning on ANY lights at all when I would get up to nurse, and only changed poopy diapers at night, she would go back to sleep much easier. Every child is different though, but I promise, she will pick it up eventually. You and she will find what works and it will click. Best of luck. The newborn stages are hard, but you can do it!!
ReplyDelete