1) People speak Polish. They will speak it to you, too, without bothering to know whether you speak it or not. They just assume that you do. Then, when they hear you speak Polish and realize you are a bit rusty, they will pretend like they don't notice.
That's me, next to the babcia playing the lottery.
2) You can buy Polish kiełbasa.
3) You can buy Inka.
The happy Inka nuclear family. It has expanded since last I knew. From left, there is the original Inka, then the Inka korzenna (cinnamon), Inka czekoladowa (chocolate), Inka o smaku karmelowym (caramel), and the black sheep of the family, the cheap Inka knock-off. I will let you know if Krakus is any good. It is made in Poland, so that is a start. If anyone wants to come enjoy any of the five Inkas with me, just let me know.
There are ancillary reasons as well.
For instance, there is an IKEA in Chicago. IKEA will expand your food horizons. Like, who knew you could buy caviar at IKEA?
We got some of this too, so let me know if you want a taste test.
Also, there is a temple in Chicago.
(Actually, this is the main reason we went to Chicago. But Inka and caviar never hurt anyone.)

I TOTALLY used to eat Kalles Kaviar when I lived in Sweden. I've never seen it at Ikea before, though! That's just exciting!
ReplyDeleteOhh, the temple is the best reason. It is so pretty! I love the color of it. We still need to explore some more Polish and Ukranian and Romanian sites here in Philly next time you guys come out. You can speak Polish to me and I won't even KNOW you are rusty! Is a babcia like a baba? (old lady!)
ReplyDeleteThere is a small but vibrant Polish community here in Philadelphia. Just before Easter there are lines for the kielbasa and other polish delicacies. I do not know if there is a line for teh caviar at the two (2) Ikeas here. How are the Holsteins?
ReplyDeleteIs Inka like Postum? I'd love a sampling. Cavier isn't really my thing, but I'm curious to know the other flavor sold next to the "original" flavor. And does it come out in little fish egg balls or is it pureed? Let's just say I'd like to WATCH you taste that stuff :)
ReplyDeleteThe temple looks a lot like the Boise Temple- beautiful. Our Ikea in SLC doesn't sell Kalles Kavier that I know of- maybe just a little salt water taffy? I loved it when you took us to the Polish area of Chicago- especially the pastries! Too bad I am not post chemo skinny anymore to enjoy them! You should go to Chicago more often - just to practice your Polish if nothing else.
ReplyDeleteYuck, I just couldn't get into caviar in Sweden.
ReplyDeleteI love reason number 1. What did they say to you? Did they respond to anyone else who spoke to them?
ReplyDelete~Marie
Marie, they just said normal stuff you would say in a grocery store like "don't steal that you filthy..." and stuff like that. They spoke to everyone in Polish I think unless they heard you talking in English.
ReplyDelete