Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nothing like watching onions carmelize

which is what I am doing right now. So the other day the women in my congregation were asked to come up with a list of their five favorite things for a 'guess who' activity we had. I nearly agonized over it - I mean, how can anyone possibly choose their five favorite things in the world? Such a broad and personal question about all that you value and cherish in life. And only five?! Come on. So I thought about it and eventually came up with a sanitized version that I felt comfortable sharing with women I don't know very well. Of course, it started with dark chocolate, had something about good books and Alison Krauss in there, and I could not resist adding a sixth item which was goats.

After the whole thing was over and I had to tell most people which list was mine anyway in exchange for them telling me which one was theirs and I still didn't get enough names to win and after we all laughed over the person that somehow included "monkey organ grinder" in their list (thanks, Dr. Clark), I decided I had approached it all wrong. No one cares if I love dark chocolate. I mean, I do, but don't most women? So here is an non-five top list version of my favorite things.

Favorite current picture:
 

(Thanks Nat Geo. I am not a violent person nor do I condone violent animal behavior. But it is a cool picture)

Favorite artist: Allison Krauss
Favorite herb: basil
Favorite thing to do that is expensive: travel
Favorite magazine: National Geographic
Favorite thing to buy for my bottom: recycled toilet paper (because toilet paper is not a good reason to destroy old growth forests, in my opinion. Amazing how hard it can be to find 100% recycled TP. Try it some time. And please dispense with any preconceived notions that it will not be pleasant to use. You are welcome to try it out at my house any time)
Favorite thing to wash my clothes with: cold water detergent (why pay to heat your water when hard working chemists have developed detergents that work in cold water just as well?)
Favorite feature about my dog Lola: her soft, squishy lips
Favorite vegetable: toss up between asparagus and beets
Favorite thing to do that is/can be cheap: shop at thrift stores
Favorite smoothie and oatmeal flavor: pumpkin
Favorite thing to do that is even cheaper: watch international films from the public library
Favorite way to get to work: bike
Favorite hot drink not prohibited by the Word of Wisdom: Inka
Favorite fruit: raspberries
Favorite CD: The Secret Garden musical
Favorite book currently: An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler. Single-handedly teaching me how to cook
Favorite animal I do not currently own (although my parents would say that I do if you ask them): milk goats
Favorite thing I wish I knew how to do: sew

Any important categories I missed?

I think Alex should share a favorites list. Anyone else agree?

5 comments:

  1. This is my favorite list of favorite things! You missed your favorite Alex. Your favorite Cat. Your favorite historical city to visit with relatives nearby. These are a few of your favorite things.... When the dog bites. Or when the bee stings... you'll be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie,

    I went to high school with Alex, but I want to be your best friend. You had me at Seed Savers, which we adore (from an old post that I felt too sheepish to comment on because that's right--I am a stranger), but throw in recycled toilet paper (where do you get it!?!), goats (I have chickens, but I want milk goats so bad), and washing clothes in cold water, and I think you are awesome. Sometime I need to meet you. Alex chose well, apparently.

    Tricia Evanson

    PS. I almost totally forgot about your epic Halloween costumes.

    PPS. Ask Alex--I am really not creepy in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, I hope I get to meet you in real life too! I trust you that you are not creepy because creepy people usually don't say that they are not creepy. About the recycled TP, I was actually lying when I said it was hard to find. I can usually find it at walmart. The cold water detergent can be a little harder to find though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Katie. I use Charmin.
    This was a super cute post! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't listen to her! Her TWO Alpine goats are wishing they lived in Illinois instead of Idaho. They NEED a geriatric goat home that only Katie can provide well (being a vet and all). Don't look- we just might end up in your backyard!

    Signed Makayla and Mazie

    ReplyDelete