Sunday, May 27, 2012

Success!

If success is measured by things not dying, then today has been a successful day. The temperature reached 99 degrees and no rabbits died! We lost a couple of rabbits last year to the heat when it was not even as hot as it was today, and that is one of the main reasons we went to "free range" rabbit raising. We made a few artificial rabbit dens out of large plastic tubs turned upside down. The rabbits, being rabbits, wanted to dig their own burrows which we mostly discouraged after we woke up one morning to find that they had dug themselves out of their enclosure. We almost had real free range rabbits there for a while. Since then we stop up their holes with bricks, except for one recently dug under the shed by an expecting mother that she raised her rabbits in. We haven't blocked that one and they go in there during the heat of the day to keep cool.

This is a map of the burrow the rabbits are building under our house as we speak. 
(These are actually rabbit burrows. J. Zool., Lond. (1985) 206, 253-262)

Other success is measured by me not losing my job. Not that I was about to, but I haven't, and that is a good thing.

Finally, we have enjoyed a little bit of fresh garden produce this year.


I wore this lettuce to church behind my ear. 



Alex is busy studying for a big test coming up. It is the USMLE (the "you smile"? I know - pretty weird name for a test). This is pretty much what he looks like all the time but without the hoodie. Because it is HOT in our house.

I am busy being sad that so many of my friends have moved or are going to be moving out of the ward soon. I love our mostly student congregation, but it breaks one of my heartstrings every time a family leaves me. All I have to say to all you is that you better move somewhere cool and have an extra bedroom (and bath please) so I can come visit you.

PS Apparently I have blog readers from Colombia, Russia, Nigeria and South Africa. If that is you, could you please send me a background check of yourselves since I don't think I know you and your address so I can come visit you? Also do you have an extra bed and bath? Thank you.

Also, Blogger has informed me that I haven't made any money off my blog yet, so anyone is welcome to mail me a check. I will use it to pay off my student loans. I promise. Thank you.


3 comments:

  1. lol I laughed and I cried - it was as good as CATS! Thanks for the fun blog post :) Happy memorial day! I really think the lettuce look is going to take off SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say it better than Candy. Funny, touching. I have a bed and bath for you any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not from anywhere exotic, but Oregon does have fabulous hiking trails and we usually are pretty mild halway up Mt Hood.

    I am so glad that things are going well! It is always good to celebrate the things that are going well, even when going well is just not going bad (or worse) than it was yesterday!!

    BTW, I LOVE the lettuce. Maybe I can figure out a lettuce string in my braid next week!

    ReplyDelete