Alex had a birthday yesterday. All in all, it was a pretty lame birthday. He studied all day and I had to stay late at work due to too many sick animals. Then, to top it off, I gave him a frying pan for his birthday present.
I did write him a poem though. I thought it was pretty clever at the time but now I am not so sure. However, I am posting it on the blog because I have nothing better to blog about, the two chores awaiting me are raking leaves and cleaning house, and because I never want him to be able to forget this poem. I want it to haunt him forever. It is called Evolution.
I am not great at writing poems
Because I never do it,
And because I am just not great at it.
But I wanted to write you a poem for your birthday.
This is what I would like to say:
I love you!!
My love for you, like life, evolves.
At first, it was hesitant and a little uncertain,
A little bubble in the primordial sludge.
Eventually the bubble became a multicellular organism.
Then it got a brain. That was a big development.
Brains are good, but first brains still have a long way to go.
I think the organism is still swimming around somewhere in the sea.
Someday it will become a land dweller
But it prefers sea right now.
When the sea is too acidic from climate change,
That is probably when it will move onto land.
Our little love creature still isn't perfect.
It won't ever be perfect in this life.
Somehow that is reassuring because I know
There will always be room to grow with you,
Adventures to have and things to learn to love together,
Struggles to go through with you.
I am committed baby. Survival of the fittest -
We will be the fittest and our love bubble will survive.
At about the brain part, he asked me if it was a notochord. I said I wasn't sure. It hasn't been studied.
And now for a few Florida pictures, circa summer 2009:
Very nice Love-Creature poem :) And nice pictures. Nice guy that had a birthday, too! Happy Birthday, Alex!
ReplyDeleteWait until your love goes through children, illness and getting older. It will not only be a land creature- it will be all powerful! Love to you both and Happy Birthday to Alex.
ReplyDeletemom