The next morning, it had already changed quite a bit. More red than purple, and perhaps slightly less swollen? I see a lot of people in the course of a day, and most of them don't say anything about it until I introduce myself and say something to the effect of "...and the blackeye is a recent development." That breaks the awkwardness over the massively obvious bruise and usually they are interested to know what happened.
The day after it happened, my boss said "I like what you have done with your makeup." A few people have asked how the other guy looks. And then there are the people that know me from church, that usually ask if Alex is beating up on me. Well, he obviously isn't or he would have a black eye too.
So what happened? A 60 lbs. Labrador Retarded decided that she didn't want me to cut her toenails. Some dogs are freakish about feet being handled, and this one hadn't been in the past (I had clipped her toenails the previous month just fine) but decided to freak out that day. Someone was holding her, but she flung her head and her skull met my cheekbone with enough force to nearly take my breath away. That was five days ago. Today, I look like this:
I have to say, it is cool to me that my body knew, without me telling it, how to stop the bleeding and now it is mopping up the mess over my cheekbone by quietly changing this
(heme - red)
to this
(biliverdin - green)
to this
(bilirubin - yellow)
and eventually I will be good as new and people that see me in the store won't wonder if I am a domestic violence victim and 3 year olds won't stare at me.



I love it when Katie talks chemistry.
ReplyDeleteI also love the chemistry part. What a bruise!
ReplyDeleteOuch!
ReplyDeleteYowza!!! brutal profession :)
ReplyDeleteOw! Nice shiner!
ReplyDeleteIf I had a catchers mask I would send it to you Katie in case you get another opportunity to trim the Lab's nails.
ReplyDeleteEd
Katie, that is a bad bad bruise, but somehow your beauty still shines through! I miss you! I love your faces! I need an updated number for you. I have tried to call you but the number I have doesn't work. We desperately need to catch up! Kocham cie!
ReplyDelete