Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Graduation

I am sure that some of you out there thought that "vet school" was just a big ploy on my part. A convenient excuse for why I couldn't come out to visit or couldn't participate in a certain social event. A hoax to make me feel smart and like I was actually doing something with my life. Well you were right wrong. Believe it or not, I was in actual fact a veterinary student and now I am in actual fact a veterinarian. I graduated on Sunday.

It was a lovely ceremony made even lovelier by all the wonderful people that came to support me. Thank you everyone that came, that sent a note, and that supported me all the time during vet school by asking how I was doing, understanding when time or finances were limited, and especially for the one person that had to live with me and offer love and support and talk me off the ledge a few times.

A few pictures from Nauvoo, where we visited on Saturday. Something of note: the wood floor in the picture on the right has a very neat history behind it: the building was auctioned off sometime after the saints left Nauvoo for a mere $4.40. No business could thrive there (undoubtedly because Nauvoo was somewhat of a ghost town and still is compared to its heyday when it rivaled Chicago) and eventually was converted to a family dwelling. The third floor by that time was in disrepair and was torn down. When the church rebought the building to restore it, underneath the roof the original wood floor was still intact. According to the senior sister who gave us the tour, this was the floor where Joseph and Emma danced (along with many other early saints) and where Joseph drew with a piece of chalk the route that would be taken to get to the Salt Lake Valley.



And of course, some pictures of the big day.
In the bottom left, that is me telling my sister "trust me, I'm a professional." 

Apparently I like collages today. 


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you both. Now Katie can get Alex all the flea meds he could ever want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flea and tick...

    Thanks again and congrats again! It was nice seeing you at your home. :) Thanks for bunking Boom too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More specifically just tick...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Dr. Katie Parent! We are thrilled for you and admire your hard work to accomplish your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOO HOO!! Congratulations, Dr. Katie :) So proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job Katie. You worked so hard and that is awesome that you are now done!! Congratulations, again.

    ReplyDelete