Sunday, September 12, 2010

Qualifer: You can't change the world

I need to make a clarification about last week's post due to some misunderstandings.

First of all, if you look up the definition of "world", there are many entries. For example:

4. The inhabitants of the earth; the human race.
11. All that relates to or affects the life of a person

Last week's post referred to definition 4. I apologize, I should have been more clear. I don't think that anything I will do in life will have a breath of a chance to affect the entire human race. That was the gist of it. On the other hand, and I think that this is what people were thinking about, I would argue the opposite for any person using definition 11. Anyone can change the lives of people in their own sphere of influence. For one small example, I think of all my teachers and leaders that taught me and were a good example to me while I was growing up. They may not even realize the life they touched, and I am sure they at times thought their efforts were falling on deaf ears, but collectively they had a huge impact on who I am today. I am indebted to the scores of people who have changed my life for good. 

My goal is not to save every starving child or eliminate AIDS or poverty. My dreams used to be big like that but they aren't anymore. My goals now lie along the lines of someday maybe I will say something nice to someone that is having a bad day, or smile at someone that thinks no one cares about them. Maybe after that I could have more patience or listen to someone. Maybe I could even someday love someone that is unlovable, share the gospel, be a decent mom, a good wife, a pleasant person to be around, and maybe crack a few jokes that someone thinks are funny. These are still pretty lofty goals for me, but I think they might be achievable if I work really hard. 


This is Alex at his poster session at the ACS meeting in Boston a few weeks ago. He is with his advisor, Dr. Katzenellenbogen. He did a good job. Believe me. 




5 comments:

  1. lol I love you, Katie! Thank you for the qualifier post :) I actually think that the process you have gone through (from changing the WORLD to changing our world) is something that we all go through as we experience more of life. I think few people really get to influence the WORLD, but it is a daily choice to influence our world. You are doing it every day, girl. I love your token picture of Alex and Dr. K. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification and I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your thoughts and just so you know, I know that you are living your goals. Especially the one about being cool. Wait, was that one??? Ohhh...you don't have to make that a goal because you already ARE cool. I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that most poeple who change the world "as to affect a large number of people" actually start out in their own small sphere of influence. Sometimes this expands, sometimes it does not.
    Look at the Susan B. Khomen foundation started by her sister to fight breast cancer. She started because she wanted to effect a change in the lives of people around her(her own family and friends) but it expanded and touched many lives, even mine.
    We don't need to start with the goal to "change the world" we need to start with the goal to change for the good in whatever way we can. Who knows it may touch the world? We are constantly becoming who/what we are to be. ( Remember Katie- you are not done until you are dead and then it is just our sphere of influence that changes.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You change my world. I was hanging family pictures on the wall tonight and decided to find a newer one of you two on your blog. (I did but not with the dogs...) Anyway, there were some posts I'd missed and the next thing I knew it was late and I was at the beginning. Thanks for being so wonderful. You are so entertaining and clever (and busy) and fun. I enjoy your blog and miss you and look forward to the next post, the next visit.

    ReplyDelete