I used to be an idealistic teenager who thought I really had a chance at making the world a better place. Heck, I probably still thought that as late as age 24, although my idealism was severely injured and dying at that point. That is what vet school does to you. Now I realize that I have little chance of changing the world. But my question now is: Who cares? Because if I am truly happy and if I can help a few people around me be happy, then isn't that good enough?
Poll the audience: According to scientific research, the most important things in life we can have to make us happy are
a) money
b) lots of money
c) a cat named Ruben
d) beach resort in Florida
e) chocolate
f) meaningful relationships
Correct answer: all of the above if you are me. E and F if you are a normal person. There is some good info on this blog if you are into the happiness thing.
This post was originally supposed to be about a cookie recipe I adapted and thought I would share. I am not sure how it morphed into the philosophy-on-life-smash-your-bubble post that it did, but I did make some okay cookies yesterday. I found this recipe yesterday and pooh-poohed it originally. I mean, I have nothing against low fat anything. I am notorious for replacing butter with applesauce and/or plain yogurt in cakes and sweet breads, although I am usually of the opinion that cookies deserve butter. I mean, if you are going to eat a cookie, eat a cookie for crying out loud.
But I tried it anyway. Meet the Pancake Cookie.
Hold on, you say. I probably named them that because my lame cookies look more like a pancake than a cookie, you say. And you would be right. But they are cookie sized and they have chocolate chips and they are sweet and even a little delicious and even though they resemble pancakes from too-runny batter and have cake-like texture THEY ARE STILL COOKIES!!!
So, this cookie doesn't have the normal amount of butter. In fact, the way I made it, it has very little. It was easy, required easy ingredients, and being the low fat cookie that it is, I thought it was decent. So I thought I would share.
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1.5 teaspoons salt
1.25 cup applesauce
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup soft butter
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips (remember happiness?)
You know the drill. Combine the dry stuff. Beat the wet stuff together. Mix them together, stir in the chocolate chips, plop them on a cookie sheet a couple inches apart, bake 10 min at 375. Let them sit on the pan for a couple minutes until they are all set and firm-like. Then cool them on a rack. I can also see this being good with some milled flax seed mixed in or perhaps some cornmeal thrown in to replace some of the flour. Whole wheat flour would also probably work if you are going for healthy cookie (is that an oxymoron?)
So there you have it. Chocolate = happiness. Good cookies = happy husband = happiness. It's easy.
Can I just say you are crazy-weird and I love you so much for it!!! I love your post! I remember hardly ever eating butter with you in Warsaw. Now, I eat it all the time, but I was impressed with how healthy we were! You are so beautiful! Have you checked out the blog that the new mission president's wife does in Poland? http://nielsonsinpoland.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI love love love it! It has gotten me studying the BM in Polish again and therefore the Polish dictionary as well. Maybe now I will actually crack my Polish Narnia series. Seriously my language needs some help and I need something to get me excited like the way Polish does. Ok, this turned out to be a really long pot, I just put my kids to bed and they both screamed forever and I thought I was going to lose it because my hubby is gone and I hate when they both scream, I mean who do I chose to help first? Anyway, they are finally asleep and I happened to check your blog first, so here is the rambling. Kocham cie!
I think you actually CAN change the world - it's just very incremental changes. I hear what you're saying, however. Butter. Interesting thing. I was watching Iron Chef America yesterday - Battle Broccoli. A chef that only cooks vegetables was the challenger. She used SOOOOOOO much butter. I quickly learned, oh, the best way to make veggies taste good - Butter. And oh, happy day, it also makes cookies taste delish. I agree you don't always haveto have it. It just is something a bit different. It will never taste the same as with butter. I think you have changed the world, Katie. You definitely have changed my brother's life forever, I am talking longitudinally you really rocked his world! Love you :)
ReplyDeleteKatie,
ReplyDeleteWhy 24? Was it meeting Alex or your mission that zapped you into reality? I agree with Candy, you can change the world. I agree with you that chocolate makes you happy. Hazel agrees that a cat is required. Thanks for the "healthy" cookie recipe. :) I might try that while my mom is here- she's compiling recipes for youth center treats and likes things with substitutions, etc.
That is a good question. I think it was on my mission when I realized no amount of work, coolness, love, etc could convert people. Looking back, of course it couldn't. People shouldn't join the church because of me. I realized it then, too, but deep down it was still hard.
ReplyDeleteWell, you made me happy, or at least laugh a few times during g-chat sessions, during class every day for two years (could've been three if we had found each other first year...sigh, one of my life regrets). But seriously, as soon as you started this post, the first thing that came to mind was your Heifer project - that changed the world, at least a bit.
ReplyDeleteYou changed my world.
ReplyDeleteLove, Dad
You changed my world for the better on October 30, 1983. And watching you grow from a dependent being into an independent beautiful woman with charity, intellect and love for those around you has made me try to be a better person in my own small way. How do we measure how we ultimately influence those around us for good? Do we even realize the effect our lives have upon another? I think we never really know but hope our efforts have not been in vain. We change the world when we meet each day with happiness, grace and dignity for those around us and for ourselves. We change the world when we make the effort to change ourselves into the best beings we can become. You see- that is the trick to become the best we can be. You are well on your way! Love, Mom
ReplyDelete