Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dear Rain,

When I heard that you were coming to visit on Memorial Day, I was mad. We had been planning for weeks to celebrate our anniversary that day by doing some hiking at a nearby state park. We were going to bring our dogs and spend the day outside, which we haven't done for altogether too long. But then you decided to show up. I hoped and hoped that you would ditch and we would get the day to ourselves after all, but you didn't. You came. So there we were, sitting at home deciding if we wanted to go, thinking that you might be gone by the time we made it to the state park an hour and a half later. Since this wasn't the first time recently that you have ruined on our plans and rained on our parade, we decided we couldn't let it happen again and jumped in the car with a small hope that we wouldn't cross paths with you. And we brought the umbrella.

Things didn't look too hopeful on the way there.


Rain on all sides. And a dog nose on my shoulder.

When we got there, you were falling out of the sky in buckets. So much that people huddled in the ranger station waiting for you to let up just a little so they could get to their cars.  We started out into the wilderness. We didn't have our whole lives to wait for you to be done, after all.


Everywhere we went, you were there. I complained and complained, even though Alex let me have the umbrella the whole time. You were really getting on my nerves.

You got my feet really wet.

After a while, though, I realized you weren't really as annoying as I thought.


I mean, bugs don't like you,


most people pack up and head out when they see you coming,


 and the sun don't shine through all your baggage.

That means no sunburns!

So, in the end, I have to say that I didn't mind you near as much as I thought I would. In fact, I am kind of glad you came along to celebrate my three year wedding anniversary. But don't come next time unless you are invited.

Love,

Katie

7 comments:

  1. Way to hang in there! If rain stopped the Brits from doing anything they'd never get out. They have a saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only poorly dressed people". (or something like that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary again! What a fun day :) Even the rain wanted to come out and celebrate your big day! Love the rainy day pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the correct saying is: There is no such thing as weather, only inappropriate clothing!

    Maybe you need Jana to send you some wellies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. The rain just made it all the more memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! We're so sad that we weren't able to spend a few more days with you. It was great seeing you for a bit though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...I'm way late too wish you happy anniversary (found your blog again thanks to alex commenting on our blog). But is that Starved Rock park? I so want to go there! Looks beautiful (even in - or perhaps because of - the rain!)

    ReplyDelete