I attended a Champagne bunny show last week. I didn't show, just watched. It was very interesting. If you had a bunny in the class, you put it in one of the cubby holes and waited for the judge to look at it. She would take each one out in turn, look at it, feel it, flip it over, and then put a coin, either a penny, nickel, dime or quarter, to remind herself where she was placing the bunny. When she made up her mind about all of the bunnies, she would start at the bottom of the class, say what she liked and didn't like about it, and hand it back to its owner afterwards. Very fast. Nothing like the sheep and goat showing I did when I was a kid where I was all dressed up in my western gear, complete with boots and neck tie, flashing smiles at the judge left and right leading my animal around the pen and setting it up, etc. (The animal is always between you and the judge! Drilled into me.)
Here are a few pictures of the judge and bunnies:
Apart from bunnies and bunny shows, one of the great things about living in the midwest are the berries growing wild. Alex and I stumbled upon a berry patch (mulberries) the other night, and armed with nothing but doggy poopy bags, we did our best at the gathering part of hunting and gathering. We ended up with this at the end of the night:
Who would have thought poopy bags would come in handy for such a use?
Later on, we transformed them to this:
(syrup)
using this
and ate them like this
We totally would have made it as hunters and gatherers.
We also welcomed the first and hopefully not last raspberry of the season into our home today.
To our chagrin, it was really the long lost hat of Mr. Finger.
He got embarrassed though and gave it up with a little coercion.
Yum yum.
The end.
I don't think our rabbit would lay down on her back like that! I love the little raspberry hat :)
ReplyDeleteHappy little raspberry man! Now a champagne bunny sounds much more fun than a chocolate bunny. No wonder the judging is so much faster. poeple want to get to the goods!! he he. love the post. love you. Miss you all. Ciao.
ReplyDeleteFun! I remember the fairs you were in in Idaho. It was fun to go see you there.
ReplyDeleteOh but you were SO GOOD at showing! Grand champion showman for 3 years running. The best of the best!! And you did know how to show off the best features of your animal but that SMILE always helped. You DO have to thank your mom for washing and ironing your show whites and western clothes at 12 PM midnight getting ready for the show the next morning. Weren't those fun days? I only hope you will be able to experience that with your own children. What a great time it will be!!
ReplyDeletelove,
the forever show mom
Can't wait until you start showing bunnies!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I like the smiley-face fingers, and what a great syrup! I'm hoping those bags hadn't been used yet? :)
ReplyDelete