I do have a few pets besides Lucy, Lola, and Ruben. They live in the basement. They eat my scraps along with wet newspaper. They are slimy. They make dirt. Are you jealous yet? They are red wiggler worms, and they also make babies. I am thinking of expanding from one plastic bin to two. I gave some baby worms as pets to the daughter of my visiting teacher in a glass jar with a bit of lettuce for them to eat. I don't think the mom was thrilled (but the girl was) and I don't think the worms survived long.
College books and stuffed animals no longer!!
Black gold is what they call this (the dirt part, not the soaked phone book).
What does my life look like as a mom of an almost 10 month old?
I know every 10 month old is not the same, but this is what I have found it is like to be the mom of a 10 month old:
- Her schedule is pretty set. Wakes up at 6 am, nurses, eats breakfast, naps from 9-10, eats a snack, eats lunch at noonish, nap from 1-2ish, wakes up, has a snack, we might go somewhere, dinner at 6, get ready for bed which is at 7:00-7:30. Putting her down is so easy now. Like butter on warm bread, as they say.
- She is curious about everything she can or cannot get her hands on.
- She is still not crawling but a pretty efficient scooter and can get halfway to the bathroom in the time it takes me to make a quick visit.
- She is very interested in where I am and generally wants to be there, too. Me going to the bathroom is sometimes enough to cause much sadness. Separation anxiety?
- It is hard to get anything done. She may play by herself for five minutes or so but after that scoots over to where I am and expects to be picked up/read to, etc. If I ignore or delay that request, crying often ensues. I have found that if I want to prepare food beyond just heating it up, it has to happen when she is asleep. I am starting to experiment with letting her be frustrated a little bit. Sometimes she will cry some and then be ok staying on the floor. Sometimes she will not be ok staying on the floor. It is a work in progress.
- It can be hard to plan when and how to get out of the house. The best time period we have is after her afternoon nap/snack when we actually have a couple hours without having to rush home to get to the next nap.
- Some days I have help from another adult (Alex) but most days I don't. We are happy just to see him awake for a few minutes some days.
- It has been hard to go to evening church events because I either am home by myself or the rare nights that Alex is home and actually could stay with the baby, I feel that I should spend the time with him.
Most days I am content and grateful. I won't say that I don't miss the freedom I had before having a child, because I do. A 10 month old is so much easier than a newborn in so many ways, but it can actually be harder to get out of the house now that she can't fall asleep just anywhere. 9 am church is proving to be hard because the early nap gets delayed or thrown out the window.
I am going to be watching a 15 month old starting this week for 1-2 afternoons per week as part of a babysitting swap. It will be interesting to see what the dynamic is between the two and if it will actually be easier to step away for a few minutes if they are at the point of entertaining each other.
Happy 10 month birthday in two days Cecily! I have a present for you but just have to get it in the mail. I love your giggles. Please save some for me when I visit.
ReplyDeleteLove Nana
Yeah. When Alice hit 10 months with all that napping and sleeping through the night, I had a lot of "me time" at home to do what I liked and no desire to nap myself. That's when I developed indoor hobbies like sewing, sock darning, and preparing handmade gifts for each of my siblings' birthdays :) I wish I had thought of vermicomposting! I'm a homebody, so it felt cozy, if a little dull at times, and Alice was needy at play time, too. That's about when I joined a local mothers group (a national organization called Mothers and More) who had in-home play groups and monthly mom-only meetings and generally awesome moms I could relate to through all that at-home isolation. Find yourself a posse of moms and you'll be just fine.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the 15-month-old addition! I would not be so brave myself, but I've always found childcare intimidating and exhausting ;)