Sunday, April 22, 2012

A word or two about the bike

First of all, it is a nice bike and I am really grateful for it. The place I got it let me get it at wholesale price (actually, lower than that - it was on sale) because he had to meet an order minimum. Second, I am "earning" it based on the miles I put on it (saving gas, wear and tear on the car, etc). Here is my graph. Each time I go to work and back (20 miles), I fill in one square. When the whole thing is filled, my bike will be paid off. (The red squares represent what I got from selling my old bike.) Alex thinks this is silly, but it makes me feel better about getting it.

Third, I have noticed since getting my bike that Illinois is much windier than I ever imagined previously. Fourth, I noticed that even though wind is annoying when it is in your face, at least it keeps the gnats from getting caught in your teeth.That is all about my bike.

A word or two about something else: I have a dear friend getting married this Friday. For her wedding I made her some quilted place mats. I am not worried about her seeing pictures of it on the blog before I give them to her because a) she is way too busy right now to check my blog, b) she probably doesn't check my blog anyway, and c) only four people check my blog and two of them live with me.


One side has a little appliqued bird.







The other side has some cool fabric.


Six total. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh those are adorable!!!! You are amazing, Katie!!! You could seriously sell those on Etsy or something. And yes, you GO earning your bike. Windy Illinois. Windy. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Katie! The place mats are really professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bike graph cracks me up. I got a new bike last year and it cost a ton of money, probably not as much as yours because it was for recreation but still more then I'd ever spent on something with two wheels before. I briefly felt guilty about it but then I thought, you know I haven't had a bike since I was 16, that was years ago. Plus when I was a kid my bike that cost $50 was probably the most expensive thing that I owned. So if we're looking at things that way, this bike was a steal. The place mats are adorable. They really do look professional. I read your blog but I have a hard time looking at the rabbits. I'm all about your food production, I just have a hard time looking at them when they are all cute before they are on the plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do your animals check your blog? Or do you check your own blog? I don't get the math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie - I love your placemats. I like the loops you've quilted and the birds are darling. So impressive that you cycle 20 miles every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @David: I was counting myself. And my imaginary friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, Katie, there are now already more than 4 people who read you blog ;-) And I don't live with you - yet! I LOVE the placemats!! I do look at all of your blogs, but am just too a. tired, b. lazy, c. non-compliant, d. non-tech-minded - take your pick - to respond. Anyway, I love you and your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the chart. Love the mats. So cool, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Joe's bike just died. The Berkeley hills were too much for it. So he's been riding mine. Which is GREEN, not pink or purple, I'll just say for the record. But still a girl's bike. He almost dies of longing and shame every time he's at a stoplight next to some cool motorcycle.

    And I love your placemats too. I didn't know you sewed! So multitalented.

    ReplyDelete