Sunday, March 11, 2012

Flats, pits, and vomits

This morning it looked like a great day to ride my bike for the first time this year. I had to do treatments at the animal clinic and *finally* it wasn't too cold or windy to do the 20 mile (round trip) bike ride and I would have plenty of time to make it to church at noon. The trip out was beautiful and invigorating, but then not 20 yards from the clinic headed home I realized somehow my rear tire was completely flat. Alex was between church meetings and came and picked me up but that put me 40 minutes behind schedule. At home I rushed around like crazy trying to get ready and finally there I stood, nearly ready to go with my toothbrush in my mouth when all of a sudden the dogs put up a terrible ruckus in the front room barking at whatever was outside. Barking is not unusual at our house but they were carrying on so mercilessly I knew that they must see something beyond the typical neighborhood child they usually bark at. Sure enough, standing just outside the window staring back at them was a full grown, fully loaded (un-neutered) male pit bull. No collar. Unsure of what to do, I went outside and introduced myself to the dog. He was not unfriendly, but I couldn't convince him to stay still long enough for me to figure out what to do with him and off he headed towards the neighbor's house. Figuring I could at least call animal control before leaving, I had the phone book in my hand when I turned and noticed the morning's second large chunky pool of Lola vomit on the throw rug. My toothbrush was still in my mouth. Did I mention that I hate being late and that was stressing me out? So I did what any responsible adult would do: I threw the phone book on the floor out of frustration, left the vomit where it was and headed to church. I left my toothbrush at home. Poor Lola slunk off and hid in her bed all morning. I think I have made up with her by now. So that is the story of this morning's temper tantrum.

In happier news, a paper I worked on as a third year veterinary student came out in print recently. This past week I received the journal and reprints. I don't know that my career is headed in an academic direction, but it feels good to have something I worked so hard on come to fruition. 

I made that figure! Are you proud, Scott?

The front of the journal.



5 comments:

  1. Ahh, cool publication, Katie! Congratulations!! Glad you didn't get eaten by the pit bull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brave. I'd be scared of a loaded pit bull staring down my dogs on their turf. Happy to hear your publication happened! :) Even happier you didn't drive with your toothbrush in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good decision- vomit comes and goes but it usually is right there where you left it when you get back (unfortunately). I am impressed you are in print! Can I read the article online?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Wows -
    1st for your publication - Congratulations!
    2nd for leaving vomit for 3 hours. To echo your mother but with different sentiment, vomit comes and goes but so does church ... every 7 days like clockwork!

    ReplyDelete