Sunday, January 22, 2012

For the love of cheese

I came across something this week that made me giddy with happiness and very nearly depressed at the same time. This is what it was: goat cheese was half off at Aldi. The reason I was so happy is obvious. The reason I was depressed was that I knew that goat cheese was being discontinued for the year (or forever?!? Heaven forbid!) I didn't let myself ponder on that terrible possibility as I proceeded to buy as much as possible without looking absolutely ridiculous.


It is frozen now. I am currently brainstorming all the wonderful things I might do with it (besides eat it plain on crackers of course). Goat cheese ice cream? Goat cheese cheesecake, muffins, tart, cherry pistachio goat cheese balls? The possibilities are truly endless. Do any of you have some suggestions out there? Do any of you want to be invited over to share our goat cheese cache with us? Do any of you feel bad you don't live closer?

Also, does anyone out there know why we have been able to successively kill three indoor rosemary plants? If you have any ideas, send them our way. My husband has a green thumb, but this mystery is eluding him, and I haven't convinced him yet to call into Mid American Gardener on Thursday night at 7 pm.

Even Santa couldn't save the rosemary. Believe me, it is as dead as a doornail. 

5 comments:

  1. WOW- goat cheese heaven! When you run out I will send you two goats and you can make your own. How about goat cheese and herb stuffed mushrooms but you had better skip the rosemary for the herb. Make sure it gets lots of direct light and well drained soil kept evenly moist. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I've bought them out of something at Aldi before when it was major cheap. They think you are kind of weird, but who cares when you have the cheap yumminess for months to come?? I have a Honey Goat Cheese from Aldi in my fridge as we speak. I think that Chicken breasts with goat cheese on top are good... maybe after you cook the breast, then shmear some goat cheese on it, or cut it open and put it inside? No ideas on the rosemary. The plants I have that I want to stay alive never do, and the ones that I wish would die always hang on neglected FOREVER. GOOD LUCK :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of cheese. The only time I've had goat cheese and liked it was on pizza. That's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And remember how good it was on those turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't need the goat cheese, but I surely wish we had an Aldi's in Provo ;-)

    ReplyDelete