The ruin pictures are from Uxmal. This is a truly breath-taking place that shows Mayan architecture at its finest.
Part of the "nunnery" so named by some Spanish exporers.
Still nunnery.
The Turtle House. Aren't the turtles cute?
The governor's palace. Simply amazing. I couldn't get back far enough to get it all.
They knew which way heaven was.
Lots of friends at the ruins.
The caves at Loltun. These caves have been visited and used by thousands of generations for many different purposes: burying relatives, collecting water, gathering clay for pots, making hand prints on the walls, shelter during the caste war, among probably many other reasons.
Yaxcopoil, an old henequen hacienda. The man you see here worked here making henequen rope up until it closed in 1984.
The henequen factory
A cart pulled by mules used to transport the agave leaves to the factory from the fields.
Zebu cattle starving waiting for the rainy season to begin
Where the owner and his family would have lived at the hacienda.
Don't be mad, Alex. I'm ready to go now.
From a museum at Campeche.
Still more to come. I had no idea it would be so hard to choose pictures to try to convey our trip. One thing is certain: the pictures do not convey how hot it was. I am sweating again just looking at these.
lol I am sweating just looking at these, too... but that's because it is HOT here today! I love the pictures, especially the Arrow Up one :) What is Henequen?
ReplyDeleteKatie and Alex! I love your pictures!!! I also like the arrow pointing toward Heaven :-) Your comments make the pictures all the more fun to look at. The poor starving cattle! There was a calf, too, just skin and bones. I thought the picture of Alex and the chair was to show how little the people in Mexico used to be/are compared to Alex - and then I read your caption ;-) Thanks for posing in the pictures. That also adds extra spice to them!
ReplyDeleteIt's fun reading about your trip, thank you! I am glad you got to see so much cool stuff.
ReplyDelete