I believe this is the last of the Mexico pictures. If that makes you sad, don't worry: we have about 1500 more. The next time you have 5 hours free, just ask and we will show them to you.
Tulum, the ruins on the beach. As far as ruins go, these were kind of sloppy. You could tell the people building them either didn't have the expertise or the time to build up to the standards of some of the other ruins we visited. However, this ruin has one major thing going for it: it is on the beach. Also, to my knowledge it is pretty much the only Mayan site that was still functioning when the Spaniards came (as a port) and continued to do so for a number of years.
I love this picture.
These are some of the beautiful tile floors we found at Yaxcopoil, the henequen hacienda. I fell in love with the floors.
And finally, some comparisons.
Noses:
Chac the rain god
And creatures eating juicy things (a jaguar eating a juicy human heart and a fair maiden eating a juicy mango). Who looks more ferocious?
from a temple at Chichen
Alex said I reminded him of all the friezes of jaguars and eagles eating human hearts. I am not sure how to take that...
Remember this picture?
You get how strange this skull is right? The elongated and flat forehead? Apparently the Mayab (not a typo - plural for Maya) thought it was attractive to have these flattened, lengthened foreheads and went to great lengths to attach devices to their babies to cause the skull to grow in such a way, or at least the upper class did. The women also chiseled their teeth to points. Can you imagine meeting these people for the first time as a Spanish explorer?
Key points I learned from my trip, some of which I have not yet mentioned but are worth saying for the somewhat completeness of my blogging summary:
1. Driving in Mexico lends flexibility to your trip but KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO. There. I have said enough about driving.
2. Mayan culture and ruins are fascinating.
3. Mexico is really, really hot.
4. Mexican food is good, and 10 days at a time are enough for me.
5. If you go on a trip, having a decent camera makes it nice for blogging. Oh and learn how to use it before you go.
6. Don't ask your relatives to watch your dogs while you go on a long trip unless they really love you, and even then once in a lifetime is probably enough.
7. A lot of people in the world work very hard and lead a very meager life style.

Ah, Katie, I am so THANKFUL you are my daughter-in-law!!!!! Your captions make all the difference to the photos. I especially like the nose comparison pictures. Even the eyes and chin are good parallels :-) I guess Alex could be a rain god as long as he does not rain on MY parade! I truly hope to have 5 hours to spend with you two to see the photos and hears the stories from your great trip! BTW, is there a cooler, pleasanter time of year to travel where you went, or is it so near the equator the the temperature does not really vary? Love you!!
ReplyDeleteOops! I forgot to say that the photo of the beach is MAGNIFICENT! You should enlarge and frame it for your home - or give it as Christmas presents this year :-)
ReplyDeleteI think you did an excellent job learning how to use your camera on the trip - that beach photo is truly artistic - and you two are truly fun to watch vacation!
ReplyDeleteVery dramatic photos! The noses and the biting things especially :)I too love the tiles, Katie. They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pics of your trip with all of us. You'll be glad you wrote stuff down while it was still fresh in your mind.
ReplyDeleteMom, my impression is that Mexico is always HOT, but that we went at one of the worst times of the year as far as heat goes. January to March is probably the prime time as far as weather goes to visit where we were. We went during the low-tourist season, which made for more intimate experiences at the ruins, but the hot days certainly wore us out.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! Again! Fascinating tidbits. I'm glad Alex's nose is not like the rain God's (your probably are too) and I do see the mango/heart resemblance- they're about the same size. Oh, and you do have a ravenous ferocity in your eyes... :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your trip with us! The blog is for you too- a great way to post your pictures.
Amazing photos.
ReplyDelete