1. This picture. I can't keep it to myself any longer.
Alex made the second to last cut as a house elf on Harry Potter.
2. This story (recounted from a Jewish rabbi in a book called Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom)
A man seeks employment on a farm. He hands his letter of recommendation to his new employer. It reads simply, 'He sleeps in a storm.' The owner is desperate for help, so he hires the man.
Several weeks pass, and suddenly, in the middle of the night, a powerful storm rips through the valley.
Awakened by the swirling rain and howling wind, the owner leaps out of bed. He calls for his new hired hand, but the man is sleeping soundly.
So he dashes off to the barn. He sees, to his amazement, that the animals are secure with plenty of feed. He runs out to the field. He sees the bales of wheat have been bound and are wrapped in tarpaulins. He races to the silo. The doors are latched, and the grain is dry. And then he understands. 'He sleeps in a storm.'
My friends, if we tend to the things that are important in life, if we are right with those we love and behave in line with our faith, our lives will not be cursed with the aching throb of unfulfilled business. Our words will always be sincere, our embraces will be tight. We will never wallow in the agony of 'I could have, I should have.' We can sleep in a storm.
And when it's time, our good-byes will be complete.
3. This song:
PS I am living in Atlanta for six weeks starting yesterday. I desperately miss everything about Illinois except for the cold. Including Ruben and my elf.
Ha! Alex is a great house elf! Your house will be sparkling by the time you get back :)
ReplyDeleteBummer to have to be away for so long. I hope you are able to keep busy and feel it's all worth it.
I was actually front runner for house elf #6, but they decided I was too tall.
ReplyDeleteI can sleep through almost anything, although I'm especially good at sleeping through medical lectures...what does that say about me?
Miss you too, Sweets. Take care of yourself!
Beautiful house elf. I think we should get the dogs with socks on their ears too and join them all together.
ReplyDeleteI liked the Atlanta song, but could not understand one word that she kept singing over and over - is it a name of a river or something??
also, I like the story. I definitely can sleep through a storm, but not for the reasons cited lol.
Good luck in Atlanta!! We may be headed there in the Fall for a residency (just a weeklong one). You'll have to give us some good recommendations.
Love you, Katie! Take care of yourself!
Who's little white socks are those anyway? Thanks for sharing that great photo.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful little parable. Thanks for that too. I'm sure I'll remember it.
Take care, Dear Kate.
I really like that story you shared. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThose would be my socks. They look small but 1) they are very stretchable and 2) they are compared to Alex's head, which is large compared to my feet, although not that large compared to his own feet...
ReplyDelete