Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lola's run in with the veterinarian

 

A couple of weeks ago, we discovered a teeny tiny mass on one of Lola's legs below the hock. We stuck a needle in it, stained it and looked at it under the microscope and were shocked to see that it had some malignant characteristics and might be cancerous. 

The next step was to take it off and submit it to the pathologist to find out if it really was cancer or not. That was last Thursday and we have been anxiously awaiting the results since then. You know all the terrible things that run through your head when you are awaiting test results...


We got the results back today. 

Translation: cancer. 

However, there is good news: 


That is really, really low. 

The bad news is that it was incompletely excised because it was adhered to surrounding tissue. So, for now we will wait and see how long it takes to grow back and how fast it grows when it does. There is a chance that Lola may need her rear leg amputated sometime in her life, but there is also a good chance that she won't. We are grateful for every day we have her and she is grateful for every day she has four legs (although she doesn't know it yet).  

6 comments:

  1. That's too bad. I hope she can keep all four of her legs for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love you so so so so much! I miss you! You make me laugh every time I read your blog. I am sorry about your dog, you are good pet parent! I want to talk to you soon. Blogging is good, but I want to reminisce (I just heard from Gabriela today and I am giddy)and talk! I love you. I will call soon. Is that okay with you? I know it has been a while, but I don't want it to go too long because then we fall in the category of: I love you virtually, but don't feel comfortable with you physically! Ya know? I love you. Talk to you SOON! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about Lola! She is a sweet doggie. Hope she can keep her legs :) It's always a bonus when we get to keep the body parts we were born with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cancer is definitely not fun and sometimes it takes body parts whether we like it or not. Hopefully Lola will beat the odds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Katie--being able to do your own biopsy and everything. I guess I know who to go to if I have anything strange growing on me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry Katie! At least she has such good people to take care of her. Best wishes. XXXOOO to Lola.

    ReplyDelete