You know, there’s this pervasive idea in biology that I think is wrong. It goes: we humans are at the pinnacle of the evolutionary tree, and as you get up that tree, brain size must get bigger. But a fly is just as evolved as a human. It’s just evolved to a different niche. – Jeremy Nivan
You can just keep that in mind.
Here is what my highly evolved brain thought of this week: Bacon + chocolate. The inspiration was the candied bacon recipe I found. The candied bacon was pretty good. Then I slathered it in chocolate. Why wouldn't that combination work?
Post candying.
The verdict? Here is what Alex thought:
I like posting pictures of Alex. I also like his shirt. He was ambivalent about the chocolate covered candied bacon. It was just okay. To tell you the truth, I never thought I would say this, but I think there was too much chocolate. It smothered the delicate candied bacon flavor. If I were to do it again, chocolate would just be a side note.
Answers to the questions in a previous blog post: In the picture, I was getting ready to practice rectal palpation in some cows (to diagnose pregnancy, corpora lutea and all other manner of great things) and the thing my colleague is holding in her hand is a broken antler. The buck on the deer farm had broken it somehow but it was hanging on by a thread of skin and had to come off.
So, the bacon actually wasn't too bad. The first piece was still warm and gooey, and honestly more chocolate than bacon. The next day after being in the fridge the fat had congealed and the texture and bacon flavor were much better...crispy, fatty, chocolaty good.
ReplyDeleteMy picky taste buds do not accept the idea that chocolate and bacon would ever taste good together. But you are brave for trying.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm with Emily on this one... But I'd probably try a small piece. I mean, I survived eating raw pig fat with the skin still on in Romania - this one wouldn't kill me! Glad to know you've practiced important moves such as rectal palpitations, Kate :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so crazy, Katie. I love it. :) When I'm pregnant I can (easily) eat a pound of bacon in one sitting. I may wait for pregnancy to try this one. Although, I like dipping my bacon in syrup. I could see the potential here, fer shur. You should try chocolate zig-zag drizzle next time.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the culinary critiques!
ReplyDeleteI think the bacon would not taste that great to my still slightly chemo impaired taste buds....but I do like something in your post!!! I want Lola and Lucy's job. It looks great! If I come to visit will I be allowed to sit on the leather couch too or will I be religated to the fabric couch in the kitchen? Here's hoping for leather!
ReplyDeletemom