Monday, January 27, 2014

Hi from Boston!!

Actually I am not in Boston anymore. I woke up in Boston this morning, but currently I am sitting on a runway in Chicago waiting for other planes to de-ice and leave the gates so we can deplane. This is after we had to wait on the runway in Boston for an hour because of snow in Philly and consequently missed our original connection to Chicago. First world problems, I know. But the thought of getting home at 10:30 pm was much more enticing than 2 am. Bleh.

I will do a quick recap of our trip to Boston. Basically, it was a crazy whirlwind. Crazy because I am quite pregnant and because we didn’t actually decide to go for sure and buy tickets until Tuesday. Tuesday! As in, the day before we left!! The reason it was so hurried was that Alex received an invitation for a revisit to one of the hospitals he interviewed at and we decided it would also be good for me to see the city. We also thought it made sense to do it before I go into labor rather than after (or during…) So we rearranged everything in our lives and made it work. 

Alex enjoyed his extra visit to the hospital and meeting with lots of people. I enjoyed seeing some of the city and surrounding areas. Overall my impression was very good except for one thing: cost of living. We haven’t decided where we want to go yet but it was very good to see and get a feel for the city. I was able to visit the temple for an entire morning, see some historic sites at Concord and Lexington and downtown Boston, meet some very nice people from the two hospitals Alex is considering in the area, and see some old friends. 

We also had what I think was the best pizza we have ever tasted (Alex agrees). Alex went to grab his first piece and all the toppings slipped off and stayed on the pan. Silly Alex, I thought, then proceeded to do the same thing. Despite the topping slipperiness, it was a really great pizza. I would recommend Santarpio's to anyone in Boston. 

I had a lot of a day to myself while Alex was at the hospital and I was able to see some sites around Concord and Lexington. 

This is Old North Bridge in Concord where the first orders were given to the patriots to fire on the British regulars in April 1775, a couple months before the battle of Bunker Hill. This was the culmination of Paul Revere’s famous ride to warn that the British were coming (from Boston to raid the military stockpile at Concord). Minute man statue in the background, designed by Daniel Chester French who also designed the Lincoln Memorial in D.C.

Selfie in front of the Orchard House where Louisa May Alcott and her family lived. I need to work on my selfies. 

Me talking to Alex finding out how his visit went. I am at the Sleepy Hollow cemetery in front of the Melvin Memorial "Mourning Victory" also done by Daniel Chester French.  

We got to see the Petersons! I have strategically cropped this picture because I look HUMONGOUS. (Camera angle, I am sure). 

Mike’s Pastry shop in downtown Boston. Apparently there is a local dispute of which pastry shop is better between Mike’s and Modern (down the street a bit). We tried to go to Modern but it was too crowded and the pregnant lady said she couldn’t wait any longer for her cannoli. This cannoli was awesome (wish you could have been there, Tony!)

Some historic site in Boston. We saw too many to keep straight. Note the awesome unicorn upper right.

In Salem, Mass. So cold. 

And the best part of all… we got to drive a mały Fiat!! 

Addendum: We made it off the plane, got our car, and proceeded to drive right into a white out blizzard. Cars off the road every 100 yards, gusts of wind and snow so blinding you couldn't see the road, and a prayer of thanks when we finally came to an exit that had lodging signs. Of course, by that time there was no room in the inn but a kind Samaritan who had managed to snag two rooms for himself and the church youth group he was with offered us one of his. I was never so grateful to spend a night in a hotel. Our car didn't start the next morning but thankfully another good Samaritan gave us a jump and we got her going. 

This is a picture the next day (this morning) on the way home (again). I am wondering if this is the bus I observed idling at the gas station we were at before we made our way to the hotel. 

The State Police were very busy last night. 

5 comments:

  1. Good grief! What a ride! Glad you are home. Take care, pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous you got to go to Boston! I lived there for one summer and fell completely in love. You are right about the price of living though. It is INSANE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom is VERY GLAD you are home safe!!!! I am glad I didn't know what you were going through- I wouldn't have slept a wink. PLEASE take care of yourself and that little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading about your trip, and it was cool to see the pictures. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Modern! They make the cannolis fresh. :) This makes me miss Boston, though it reminds me that I disliked the winter storms. However, there is SO much to love and enjoy there! The hospitals aren't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete