Sunday, August 21, 2011

Canning outline

I decided to can some things this year. Later on, Alex got involved helping me with my over ambitious canning  projects and he also did a couple batches of his own salsa. 

To get me back into the school season, I will outline the types of jam I did and some things I learned. This will be more or less in chronological order.



I.                   Introduction

a.      Canning - so fun!
II.                Strawberry jam
a.      Why: Aldi sold strawberries for 99 cents/# all summer long.
b.     First batch: used a potato masher to mash the strawberries. Mashing muscles got tired.
c.      Second batch: discovered blender. Mashing muscles happier.
d.     Bought real canning supplies. Magnetic lid picker upper = best canning tool invented.
III.             Peach jam
a.      Why: Beachee’s was selling peaches at firesale prices.
b.     Blender a life saver.
c.      You can do six batches per night if you do 1.5 batches per pot and two pots at a time and then do it again - one arm to stir per pot. An extra person helps when you get to the actual canning part.
IV.            Salsa
a.      Good job Alex!
V.               Grape jam
a.      Why: concord grapes in the backyard begging to be used
b.     First time trying a no pectin recipe.
c.      Result: 2 hours for 2 pints of jam. I think I cooked it too long and have a feeling it will be the consistency of a hockey puck.
VI.            Conclusion: We have enough jam for 10 years.

And now, illustrations: 

 The whole shishkabob.

 Strawberry jam pre-blender.

 Post blender. 

Salsa

In other noteworthiness, the Tanners came by to share their awesome Danish tradition of Aebleskivers with us the other night. This is David using a knitting needle to turn the little doughy balls of goodness.

Yum! Thanks guys. 

3 comments:

  1. mm... Ebelskivers are DELISH! Irene used to make those when I was a little kiddo. Good thing you guys had some homemade jam to put on them. How perfect of you! I admire all canners! Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you are awesome! I haven't done any canning this year (hang my head in shame) but i have a ton of jars waiting. I think I might have to get a pressure cooker though for some of the things I've got growing in the back. Thanks for the motivation! Everything sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete